Estrus Synchronization Courses
Welcome to “Fundamentals of Beef Reproduction and Management: Focus on Estrus Synchronization."
Reproduction is the major factor impacting profitability in a cow-calf operation. The largest cause of reproductive loss in beef herds is that cows fail to become pregnant during the breeding season. Heifers and cows fail to become pregnant because they do not show estrus (heat) or fail to conceive after showing estrus. Estrus synchronization protocols have been developed that increase the proportion of females that conceive early in the breeding season and facilitate the use of artificial insemination. AI is the most powerful tool for genetic improvement through the selection of sires that are genetically superior for economic traits (e.g., calving ease, growth, and carcass merit). Recent advances in estrus synchronization protocols that facilitate the adoption of AI in combination with improved herd health programs provide a series of technologies that if properly integrated will add significant value to calves.
The three courses are designed to familiarize you with the following topics:
Course 1 Includes:
- Physiological principles that underlie estrus synchronization
- An overview of commercially available estrus synchronization products,
Course 2 Includes:
- Specific estrus synchronization protocols currently recommended for beef heifers and cows,
Course 3 Includes:
- Management considerations for implementing an estrus synchronization program in your herd
- A description of the impact of estrus synchronization on reproductive management.
In addition, each module includes assessment questions to help you evaluate your comprehension of the information.